am obsessed with enjoy a little seasonal decorating. But my husband may or may not have banned me from buying anymore decorative pillows. I wanted to add some fall colours to the basement this year, and decided to recover my existing pillows. Our colour scheme in the basement is brown and turquoise -I know really original.
But, when I was doing it a few years ago, I made sure that all the biggies were neutral. The only turquoise really were the throw pillows, some candles and other little accent pieces. I love the fact that it really doesn’t take too much of an accent colour to really make an impact. So…I decided to switch it all out for orange this fall. I planned on hitting the thrift stores and grabbing some old wool sweaters to felt and maybe some tweed and corduroy to piece together some cool pillows. At the thrift store though, one orange wool sweater was $10. Too much for me, since I needed several. I decided to check out the fabric store. I found lots of great options on the cheap -my favourite.
I headed back to the clearance section, at the back of the store and I found treasure. I think maybe it was because oranges sometimes end up in clearance? There was lots to choose from.
It was easy too, because oranges and browns don’t all have to match exactly, unlike say reds. So I mixed and matched my way to a combination that I liked. It doesn’t take much fabric to sew a pillow cover so I bought pieces that were a 1/2 meter, which made the orange paisley that was regularly $14 a meter, on sale for $3 a meter, only $1.50 for a 1/2 meter. Perfect.
I used an envelope style to sew the cushion covers. I used the pillows I already owned and wrapped the fabric around them. It’s really easy, just sewing straight lines and no need for zippers or even buttons. Here’s how I did it. Cut out a strip of fabric long enough to wrap around your pillow with some over lap.
Sew a hem on the one edge that will be exposed, and then just lay it out inside out and sew up the two edges, just three straight lines to sew. Easy peasy.
This is the back of the finished pillow, with the turquoise pillow tucked inside.
I had one other little accent pillow, and decided I should do something a little special with it. Here it is before.
And here it is after.
I used the same method, but before I sewed up the edges to make the envelope of fabric, I appliqued on some simple leaves.
I left the edges rough. I like the frayed look. I used white thread to sew the veining on the leaves, and made sure to tie off the ends on the back of the fabric.
I really liked how it turned out -and it too was really simple.
I ended up spending $10 -that’s it, and covered 6 pillows. And, when fall is over, I can slip off the orange pillow covers and fold them up in a box until next year. I love the price of this project and how easy it is to store. Win, win. It’s starting to feel so cozy down stairs, I can’t wait to share with you my new fall subway art, and more of the whole room. Until then, hoping life is a party for you today -with a few beautiful seasonal pillows. 😉