How to use One Cake Mix to create Six Different Cupcake Flavours
You know when you have a party, or bring cupcakes to a party, and you’d like to have a whole lot of different kinds but you can’t make six different batches? I had the idea to use a simple vanilla cake mix, and try to make it into several different flavours by adding different flavours and add-ins. Here’s what I came up with!
- Chocolate Chip with Vanilla Pudding Centres and Chocolate Frosting
- Mini Butterscotch Cups and Chocolate Frosting
- Mini M and M’s and Funfetti
- Vanilla with Raspberry Jam Centres and Vanilla Frosting
- Vanilla with Liquor Filled Chocolate Centres and Chocolate Frosting
I started out making a basic vanilla cake mix, and dividing it into six bowls ready for the add-ins.
Here’s what how the magic happened:
- I added a little coconut flavouring, and some shredded coconut to the cupcake batter
- I added a little more coconut flavouring to the frosting, instead of vanilla, and then rolled the frosted cupcakes in more shredded coconut
2. Chocolate Chip with Vanilla Pudding Centre and Chocolate Frosting
- I added chocolate chips to the batter
- After the cupcakes cooled I cut out a cone in the middle and added a spoonful of vanilla pudding, then put the cone back on top before frosting
- I added coco powder to the vanilla frosting to make chocolate frosting, then I sprinkled a few mini chocolate chips on top
3. Mini Butterscotch Cups and Vanilla Frosting
- I added mini butterscotch cups (President’s Choice found in the bakery aisle) to the batter (they did sink to the bottom a little, next time I would coat them in flour before I added them to keep them from sinking)
- I frosting the cupcakes with vanilla frosting and sprinkled with a few more mini butterscotch cups
4. Mini M and M’s and Funfetti
- I added funfetti sprinkles and mini m and m’s to the batter
- I frosted the cupcakes in vanilla frosting and more added funfetti sprinkles and mini m and m’s to garnish
5. Vanilla with Raspberry Jam Centre and Vanilla Frosting
- I started with simple vanilla cupcakes
- After they were cooled I made a small cone, added a spoonful of raspberry jam, and but the cone back on top before frosting
- I frosting them in vanilla frosting and added a little white sanding sugar for some sparkle
6. Vanilla with Liquor Filled Chocolate centres and Chocolate Frosting
- I had a few liquor filled chocolates and thought it would be fun to add them to the cupcakes. I put a little batter in the cupcake liner, then the chocolate (which I’d had in the freezer for about half an hour before) and then covered in more cupcake batter
- I frosted these with chocolate frosting and garnished with a half of a chocolate
One regular cake mix made 24 cupcakes, 4 of each kind. I love this idea for a party, I made them to bring to friends house for the weekend. This was a bit of an experiment and I LOVE how they all turned out. Give this a try, and let me know if you come up with your own great add-ins. With one cake mix and six different yummy -yummy flavours, life really is a party!
This post is linked up at Tatertots and Jello.