Everyone in my family likes rice pudding; my husband, my two sometimes fussy little girls, and me. Problem is…I didn’t know how to make it. I tried to make it once for my husband years and years ago when we were first married. It was an absolute failure. The rice never fully cooked, it was crunchy rather than creamy. This week I decided to give it another try and it was a success! Really, really good, and easy too -creamy, not too sweet, and with plump juicy raisins. This time I used minute rice, and it worked great. My husband happened to be working from home, and it was ready just as my girls got home from school. We had it warm from the oven with cinnamon sprinkled on top -dessert before dinner, but don’t tell anyone. 😉
- 2 cups skim milk -divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 1/3 cups instant white rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons butter
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of milk, sugar and water to a boil. Stir in the rice and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325, and spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining cup of milk, eggs, raisins, vanilla and cinnamon, and stir in cooked rice. Pour into baking dish. Dot the top with butter. Bake, stirring twice, about 25 minutes.
[Makes 6 servings -5 Weight Watchers Points Plus per serving]
With easy and delicious rice pudding like this, life really is a party!