I noticed blueberries were on sale this week, and it reminded me of a favourite summer treat. There’s a lovely farm near our house that has a pick-your-own section of berries and veggies, and a really nice farm shop with more produce, ice cream, and a little bakery. My husband loves to get a scone or two when we’re there and have it as a breakfast treat.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp coarse sugar
- Combine the dry ingredients -flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter, until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Wash blueberries, and stir into flour mixture.
- In another bowl, stir together the wet ingredients -half and half, egg and vanilla.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and combine into a dough. Split the dough in half and form each into a circle, patting it to about 3/4 inch thick. Cut each circle into 6 pieces, for a total of 12 all together. Brush the dough with a little extra cream, and then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Spread the scones out and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 18 min. until golden brown.
A perfect treat with a cup of tea, and a little butter. So, so yummy.
Home made blueberry scones seem like the perfect way to out wait out this winter that won’t seem to end.
With a treat like this, life really is a party.