My mother-law uses this recipe to make banana bread…because that’s what good, using up the left over bananas, responsible people do. But people who want life to be a party, they want to turn banana bread into CAKE! They want cake, covered in icing.
So, let’s make banana cake covered in sweet, fluffy vanilla icing, ‘cause that’s how we roll around here. And, it just happens to be super easy, like make this baby in the middle of the week kind of easy.
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup of softened butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the bananas, sugar, egg and butter until well combined.
- Add the flour, salt and baking soda, and stir until well combined, but being careful not to over-mix.
- Bake in a greased 8 x 8 baking dish at 350, for around 40 min, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- After the cake is cool, combine the icing ingredients in a mixer and stir slowly until well combined, and then at higher speed until light and fluffy. Top cooled cake with icing, and enjoy.
With a simple little banana cake like this on a regular old Tuesday, life really is a party! Enjoy.