When I first bought this chandelier five years ago I loved it, I mean lovvvvvved it! We had moved into our new house and had a dining room for the first time -this dining room, and I was excited to have a place to hang an amazing chandelier. I remember saying to my husband “we had to move to this house so that I could have this light in my life.”
But ten years later, the spark was gone. I still really liked the light, but it didn’t feel quite as special. And then I had this idea of spray painting it gold! I’m a big fan of Australian design shows, and keep seeing these amazing gold statement lights. This was my way of creating my own. This week, as part of the One Room Challenge -where I makeover my dining room in six short weeks, I tackled the light fixture. You can catch up on my other projects for the One Room Challenge here:
How To Go From Boring Silver To A Gold Statement Light
I have to say I hummed and ha-ed about it quite a bit. I had that problem of not hating the light as it was, and the fear of ruining it.
I’ve done a lot of spray painting in my day. I’ve had many, many, many success stories. But I’ve also had my fair share of not so great spray paint moments. Are you with me? Let’s see, there was the time I didn’t shake the can long enough and the paint was all gritty. There have been over sprays where paint got where paint wasn’t supposed to be. There have been drip marks from spraying too heavy a coat. There have been weird reactions to spray painting plastics that don’t like spray paint. There have even been the occasional gloomy messes.
So I knew going in that there were certain spray paint risks to be considered, and I knew I needed this piece to come out perfectly.
So I did all the things you’re supposed to do.
I began by removing all the crystals, and while I was at it, I washed them all in hot soapy water.
I taped off all the light bulb fixture parts, and the electrical cord, and the hanging wires.
When we took the light down, I made sure that all the removable parts were removed to spray paint separately so they wouldn’t get stuck together.
When I took the light out to the garage to spray paint it, I made sure it was freely hanging so that there’d be less chance of drips, or missing spots.
I set the individual pieces on to little plastic caps to lift them off the surface so they would be no marks where they were touching the ground.
And then I shook and shook and shook the paint. For three minutes, which is a surprisingly long time when you’re shaking.
I painted about eight really thin coats, forcing myself to stop after a thin coat and not over do it and risk drips. Eight times I want back after 15-30 minutes of dry time, shook the can for 3 minutes again, and applied another thin coat.
In between coats, I used some gold rub and buff on the metal parts of the hanging crystals and made them a little more gold too.
And all my careful work paid off! The light is gloriously gold, without any drips or globs at all.
I love the new gold light, it just looks updated and fresh, and on trend.
I found it funny that when I was doing a little research on-line and searching for spray painted lights that they were all going from brass to silver, or black. Now things have shifted back, and gold, brass, rose gold, and copper are all on the rise, and only a spray paint can away.
Things are really coming along with the One Room Challenge. The last major project to go is to refinishing the dining room table. I’m a little nervous about this one too, but I’ll be starting it tomorrow and sharing it and all the finishing touches next week in the big Week Six Final Reveal. Wish me luck.
With a new Gold Statement Light, life really is a party!