It’s mid-Febuaray and snowy in our neck of the woods. This time of year, there’s nothing better than a hot bowl of homemade soup, and this Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup is a real family favourite. I love to make a double batch of this and have it for a few days. It’s so good with some nice fresh bread.
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 med. carrots, chopped
- 1 can 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 2 boxes of 900mL chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 packages of 350 gram fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Remove the casing from the Italian sausage, and fry in a large soup pot, Break up the sausage as it cooks, so it's in small pieces.
- Once the sausage is browned, add in the chopped onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is transparent.
- Add in the chopped carrots (I do rounds, cut in half again), the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer with a lid for about 20 min.
- Add in the chopped zucchini (again cut in rounds, and half again), and simmer for another 10 min.
- Lastly, add in your tortellini and frozen corn and cook according to the package directions -fresh is about 10 min., frozen is longer. Once the tortilla is tender the soup is ready to enjoy.
If your kids love pasta as much as mine do…and I can only make spaghetti so often…then this soup is the perfect meal for your family, and it’s packed with veggies too.
With a hot bowl of home made Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup on a cold winter day, life really is a party!