Today I’m sharing this amazing recipe for Chicken and Waffles. It’s perfect weekend food, and with Maple Syrup season in full swing here in Ontario, this really is the best way to enjoy some Maple Syrup.
When I was a kid I had some pretty strict food rules. One of which was no mixing sweet and savour. I’m glad I out grew that one…except for Hawaiian pizza, cause it’s just not right, are you with me?
Chicken and Waffles are the perfect mix of salty, crispy chicken, and sweet, soft and fluffy waffles. This has become a real family favourite.
- 1 chicken cut up into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lawyer's seasoning salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- oil for frying
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter -melted
- maple syrup
- Marinade the chicken in the buttermilk from 12-24 hours.
- To make the breading, combine the flour, seasoning salt, paprika, black pepper, dried thyme, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dip into the breading mixture to coat.
- Fry chicken in a pan with a few inches of oil heated to 350 degrees, until golden brown, about 5-7 min on each side. Work in batches of about 3 pieces, taking care not to over crowd the pan.
- Place fried chicken on a baking sheet and finish cooking in a preheated 360 degree F oven, until cooked through. (Wings may not require the oven cooking, they may be cooked through after they're fried.)
- Sift together in a large bowl the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Separate the eggs and beat the 2 egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- In another bowl combine the egg yolks, milk, and melted butter. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients with a few swift strokes -batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined.
- Cook in a waffle iron. Serve hot with fried chicken on top, and warmed maple syrup drizzled over top.
It’s also National Waffle Day, so I thought this was the perfect recipe to share!
With homemade Chicken and Waffles, life really is a party!