Last night, Friday night, Homemade Onion Rings seemed like the perfect treat to kick off the weekend. These onion rings were amazing -the perfect balance of crunchy seasoned goodness on the outside, and sweet tender onion on the inside.
I heard it said once that if you only ate french fries when you made them yourself, from scratch, it would probably be about right. Since they’re a lot of effort, it’s good that they’re a sometimes, not all the time treat. The same could be said of these amazing onion rings.
Not an everyday kind of food, a little fiddly to make, but so, so worth it. These guys are definitely worth the trouble. After the first crunchy bite, I’m sure you’ll agree with me.
- 1 large sweet Spanish onion
- 1 1/4 cup flour -divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg -beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- oil for frying
- Slice onion and dip rings into 1/4 cup flour to coat them, shaking off any excess.
- To make the batter, combine 1 cup of flour, and the baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk and egg to make a smooth batter. One by one, dip in the onion rings that have been coated with flour already. Let them drip to remove any excess.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the two kinds of bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Stir to mix well.
- Dip the battered onion rings into the bread crumb mixture to coat evenly.
- Fry the onion rings in a deep fryer with oil at 375 degrees, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel, and sprinkle with additional salt, to taste.
These are best served nice and hot with a little extra sprinkle of salt.
These are guaranteed to take your regular burger night to a whole new level.
These would also be a pretty impressive addition to any party -we like them with a little ketchup or chipotle mayo on the side. Hope you love these too.
With Homemade Onion Rings, life really is a party!