Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe: rich and creamy the pefect comfort food espeically on a cold day made with assorted mushrooms.
This Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe is filled with different kinds of mushrooms, garlic, wine, and cream. It’s an earthy, creamy filling soup you will love.
When I was a little girl, I didn’t like mushroom soup. I don’t remember ever trying it, but I knew it was on my “I don’t like this food” list. As an adult, one day I was thinking about cream of mushroom soup. I knew it was on the list, but I started thinking about what was in it. Mushrooms, which I love, cream, garlic, a little wine, all on the “food I love” list…perhaps it was time to reconsider.
A made this soup and I LOVED it, loved like “do I really have to share it with my kids and husband” kind of love. I thought you might like it too. 😉
- 8 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced (I used white, brown, and portabellas)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 900 mL of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of milk
- In a large pot, sauté the sliced mushrooms and garlic in the butter and oil. Season with salt and pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook until the liquid from the mushrooms is gone.
- Add wine and reduce again for a few minutes. Then add the chicken stock and cook for about 5 to 10 mins more.
- At this stage, puree some of the cooked mushrooms by removing about half of them and a little stock and pureeing in a blender,then add back to the pot. Or use a submersion blender in the pot. I left about half of the mushrooms un-pureed to create a nice contrast of textures.
- Next, dissolve flour in a little water and add to soup, while stirring to thicken.
- Add cream and milk and heat through, season with a dash of freshly ground nutmeg.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
I served the soup with some of the wine I used to make it, along with a baguette, some pate, and nice cheese. It was the best meal I’ve had in ages. LOVED it, seriously, make this soup.
With homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup on a cool spring day, life really is a party!
You might also like our Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup recipe here.
Also check out our Roasted Garlic Potato Soup recipe here.
You might also like our Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipe here.