Cherry Snowball Cookies
Cherry Snowball Cookies: A shortbread cookie made with dried cherries, and covered in powdered sugar, perfect for Christmas.
Cherry Snowball Cookies are an old favourite of mine. These cookies are lovely. The icing sugar on the outside is so sweet, and then the dried cherries inside are so tart, and the cookie itself is a nice buttery shortbread.
Welcome to Day Three of Cookie Week! Today’s cookies are Cherry Snowball Cookies. These cookies are lovely. The icing sugar on the outside is so sweet, and then the dried cherries inside are so tart, and the cookie itself is a nice shortbread.
These cookies were Paige’s choice, my oldest daughter. We only have them at Christmas and they are so nice on a cookie platter or with a hot cup of tea, or a tall glass of cold milk, in Paige’s case. These easy cookies are sure to be a hit with your family or guests.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Get Our Free Christmas Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite Christmas recipes and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Cherry Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup of cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup icing sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- Combine butter, 1/2 cup icing sugar, and cornstarch in a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until smooth, or use a large bowl and an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla and combine. Mix in the flour and the dried cherries, taking care to coat the coarsely chopped cherries in the flour so they don't all stick together.
- Let dough rest 5 min.Scoop the cookie dough with a 1-inch cookie scoop and roll into dough balls and bake cookies on a cookie sheet at 325 degrees until bottoms are just golden brown, about 20 mins.
- Let cool complete on a wire rack, and then roll the cookies in the remaining 1/2 cup icing sugar in a separate small bowl, to coat them completely. Transfer cookies to an airtight container to store.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 33mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
This easy recipe is such a yummy sweet treat. They’re a favorite cookie for the holiday season, and will be a welcome addition to your cookie trays. They’re also a perfect cookie for gift giving. Who wouldn’t love a classic shortbread cookie with cherry flavor.
These cookies are made with dried cherries, which are sometimes a little tricky to find. Look in the baking aisle of the grocery store. The dried cherries should be with the other dried fruit, like raisins. I usually buy mine at the bulk food store.
With Cherry Snowball Cookies this sweet, life really is a party!
More Cookie Inspiration
You might also like Easy Shortbread Cookies here.
Also check out our Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies here.
You might also enjoy our Jam Jams here.
They look and sound good.
They sound yummy:) Beautiful photos!
How much cornstarch is used….
Hi Jayme, sorry I missed the “cup” part, all fixed up, it’s 1/4 cup. Hope you enjoy these.