It’s Day Three of Christmas Treats Weeks, and today I’m sharing a recipe for Creamy Carmels and Chocolate Salted Caramels.
These are so good, you might have a little trouble not eating them between now and Christmas.
Both the creamy caramels and the chocolate salted caramels have the same caramel base. In fact, it’s the same caramel I made for the caramel apples yesterday. I made two batches of the apples, and each time I poured the leftover caramel into a well greased small rectangle container after I was done dipping apples. I let the caramel harden over night, and then removed it from the container and sliced into small cubes.
To make the creamy caramels, just cut small pieces of parchment paper and wrap each square. You might like to tie the ends with a little twine too.
You could, of course sprinkle these with a little sea salt to make Salted Caramel Candy too. I left these ones plain.
Packed in a little jar, these are perfect for holiday gift giving.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz. brown sugar
- 7 oz. (half of a 14 oz. can) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional: salt and melted chocolate for dipping
- To make the caramel, combine butter, brown sugar, condensed milk, corn syrup and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring it to a boil over a high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into a well greased 8 x 8 pan, and let set over night.
- Remove caramel from the pan and cut into small cubes. Wrap in parchment paper squares. Or, add salt first for salted caramels. Or, dip in chocolate and then sprinkle with salt for chocolate salted caramels.
To make the Chocolate Salted Caramels dip your creamy caramels in some melted chocolate. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, that I melted in the microwave. You could also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate, what ever you like best. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle the them with a little salt. I used Pink Salt, sea salt or Himalayan Salt would be nice too.
If you have some fans of sweet and salty together on your Christmas list, these are sure to be a big hit.
With Creamy Caramels and Chocolate Salted Caramel, life really is a party!