A few weeks ago I made this pretty spring wreath out of some pussy willows I found growing near my house, and I wanted to share with you how easy it is to make. Depending on where you live the pussy willows may still be out, or you can purchase them for this project. It does take quite a few to make it, but it’s really easy to put together, and looks so amazing. It’s the perfect spring wreath for your door.
To make this DIY Pussy Willow Wreath you’ll need,
- pussy willows -I cut a whole garbage full of branches
- garden clippers
- wire cutters
- a grapevine wreath to use as a base
How To Make a Pussy Willow Wreath:
1. To make this wreath, you begin by cutting your pussy willows into short lengths, about a foot or less in length. You want them all to be around the same size.
2. Once you have them all cut down, divide your pile of pussy willow pieces into four groups, this will help you divide them evenly around the wreath, and not run out or have a lopsided wreath. Each pile should be enough to do a quarter section of your wreath.
3. To begin added the pussy willows to the base grapevine wreath, gather a small pile of pussy willows and lay them on your wreath, and wrap wire around them to secure them to the wreath (it’s best to use a dark wire for this project like black, brown, or green so it blends into the background). Then, apply another small pile overlapping the first pile and continue to wrap with the wire. Work your way all the way around the grapevine wreath base. On the final few piles, make sure to tuck them under the branches of the first ones you added.
7. If you like, you can embellish the finished wreath with a small nest, mini eggs, and some moss. It’s a lovely spring detail. I used wire to attach mine, hot glue would also work well.
Also, be sure to create a little hanging hoop with the wire at the back of your wreath before you tie it off.
This wreath was really easy make, and turned out even nicer than I thought it would -love it when that happens.
I hung mine on my front door and added a few other fun details.
I planted my urn with some spring bulbs and pansies, and used more pussy willows in the middle.
At the side I switched out the faux snow in the lanterns for some more spring like moss and pinecones.
And I added more pretty pansies. The bunny is the perfect spring accessory.
Along with my birdie that is.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that a morning dove built a nest so quickly in my grapevine one afternoon that I didn’t have the heart to try to remove it once she started sitting on it. I think there must be some eggs in there since she sits there most of the day and night.
I’ve named her Gertrude, Gertie for short. She’s very quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn’t make a mess. All good qualities in a new neighbour.
Her nest is directly above the front door, but at least it goes with the spring decor!
With a pretty new Spring Pussy Willow Wreath, life really is a party!