Almond Cake with Raspberry Jam -delicious homemade almond cake recipe, with a sweet filling of pretty ombre pink icing and raspberry jam.
This almond cake with raspberry filling combines some of the best flavours for a wonderful layer cake. It’s perfect for birthdays or any celebrating.
I have eaten this cake far more times than I have baked it.
It is a family recipe, on my husband’s side. You don’t think much about the food you’re marrying into when you choose a spouse. Inevitably there will be some things around your husband’s family favs that you love and other’s not so much. This cake was like a marrying bonus, and everyone in my husband’s family loves it too.
It’s made by my sister-in-law Keers, and it doesn’t always appear at family functions. If it’s going to show up, it’s probably someones birthday, but even then you can’t be sure of it. When we see the almond cake my other sister-in-law and I get excited. This cake and a cup of tea is pretty much all you need for at least a moment of happiness in your day.
I’ve added my own little twist to the cake recipe, made it a triple layer and added raspberry jam. It’s a winner. Although, it’s great with just icing too. It’s quite moist and a bit dense -in all the best ways. And, as cakes go, it’s pretty simple to make.
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Next, add in the wet ingredients -the sour cream, eggs, almond and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients -the flour, almonds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, and stir until just combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the batter between three 8-inch cake pans that have been buttered or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for about 30 min, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool before icing.
We enjoyed the cake for a joint celebration of Mother’s Day and my little sisters birthday over the weekend -see I’m stealing for my side of the family functions now too. And now, writing this post and seeing all the pictures, I want all the leftovers.
Julia Child said “a party without cake is just a meeting”. This cake ensures it’s no meeting! With a almond cake with raspberry jam, life really is a party!
You might also like our Homemade Funnel Cake recipe here.
Also check out our Cupcakes in a Mason Jar here.
You might also enjoy our Strawberry Cupcakes recipe here.