It’s the first day of school! My girls are super excited, and I have to say that fall really is my fav. time of year. I thought it might be fun to make some little back to school treats for them as a treat on their first day. Since apples always make me think of back to school I made apple shaped truffle pops to celebrate.
I started out making the homemade truffles. The recipe is easy. It’s just chocolate and heavy cream, with a bit of vanilla. Once that set, I used a small ice cream scoop to scoop out balls of the mixture so they’d all be the same size. Once they were rolled in perfect little balls, I inserted a lollipop stick, and put them into the freezer to get really cool and hard.
Then, I melted some red candy melts and dipped them in. Top Tip: if your candy melts are too thick when melted, use a little vegetable shortening or vegetable oil to thin it out a bit.
- 12 oz. Milk Chocolate
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream (35% whipping cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red Candy Melts
- Green Liquorice
- Mini Green M & Ms
- Melt the milk chocolate, and the cream together in a double boiler (or in a metal mixing bowl over a pot of swimming water), until completely melted and combined.
- Stir in the vanilla and pour into a metal mixing bowl and let it set.
- Scoop out hardened chocolate mixture, and roll into balls. Insert lollipop sticks and put into the freezer to completely harden.
- Melt red candy melts in a double boiler, if the melted chocolate is too thick, thin with a small amount of vegetable oil, or vegetable shortening.
- Dip the truffle in the red chocolate coating, and let any access drip off. Just before completely set, add a liquorice stem and M and M leaf.
I used a little bit of green liquorice to create a stem, and a little mini green M &M for a leaf.
Love how these back to school treats turned out. I packaged up a few for some friends and my girls in little cello bags.
Hoping the first days of school go smoothly for you and yours.
With Back to School Treats like Apple Truffle Pops, life really is a party!
You might also like our Back To School Sugar Cookies here.
Also check out our Back to School Marshmallow Pencil Snacks here.
You might also enjoy our Homemade Caramel Apples here.