Banoffee Pie Recipe: with toffee made from condensed milk, bananas, and whipped cream combined into a pie this dessert is rich and delicious.
This Banoffee Pie Recipe is rich and sweet and delicious. The perfect dessert for banana lovers, and a favourite at our house.
Banoffee Pie is very popular in Ireland and after you see it, you’ll know why. It’s the perfect dessert for a St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
Banoffee pie gets it’s name from a combination of bananas and toffee, yum.
To make the toffee caramel, you start out with a can of sweetened condensed milk. The caramel is made by boiling an UN-OPENED can in water for about 3 hours. Just peel off the can label and submerge in a large pot of water, remember to top up the water every so often to ensure the can remains covered. I’ve heard that the can of condensed milk can explode if the pot runs dry, I’ve never had any trouble with it, but do be careful.
Meanwhile, make a graham cracker crust.
Once the caramel is finished and slightly cooled, slice a few bananas on to the crust and cover with the caramel. Some people use two cans, but I think one is perfect. It might seem a thin layer, but it’s so, so rich that you really don’t want too much filling. On top of the caramel, add a layer of whip cream, whipped with a little sugar and vanilla. To finish it all off sprinkle with a little grated chocolate.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 2 bananas sliced
- 237 mL whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- chocolate shavings
- In a large pot fully submerge an unopened sealed can of sweetened condensed milk with the label removed. Boil for 3 hours. Add water as needed to keep the can submerged. Note that if the pan boils dry the can could explode, so take care to keep checking the water levels over the 3 hours.
- In a pie pan combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup of sugar, and melted buter. Stir to combine and then use press into the pan to form a pie crust. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk that's been boiled into toffee to the pie crust. Top with sliced bananas.
- To whip the cream place it in the bowl of stand mixer and beat on high until soft peaks form. Add 2 tbsp of sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top pie with whipped cream and chocoalte shavings. Enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
I made the sweet St. Patrick’s Day bunting with the drink flag free printables from Love the Day, and a little green embroidery cotton -love how it turned out.
With this sweet, sweet pie for St. Patrick’s Day, life really is a party!
You might also like our Caramel Apple Trifle recipe here.
Also check out our Banana Cream Pie recipe here.
You might also like our Easy Banana Cake recipe here.