Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes: individual cakes made from scratch in a cupcake pan with traditional pineapples, and cherries.
These mini pineapple upside down cakes, have all the goodness of regular pineapple upside down cake, but in adorable individual size! Everything is cutter when it’s mini, right?!
We made these individual pineapple upside down cakes as part of our Moana dinner and movie night -see all the details here. They were the perfect addition to our island inspired menu, and the individual mini size was perfect!
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
I love pineapple upside down cake, but it isn’t something I grew up with. This is actually my mother-in-law’s recipe, which I’ve modified to make mini size. She’s been making this cake for years. It’s tested and true, and definitely a family favourite. Along with making it mini, I’ve also served it with whipped cream. It is really the perfect combination. Although they’re so good, and so mini, you might need two. 😉
I made these mini versions in a cupcake pan, so they’re easy to make at home, without needing to buy a special pan to create them.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 pineapple rings (1 1/2 cans 398 mL)
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- In the bowl of stand mixer, cream 1 cup of butter and sugar together.
- Add in the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and fully combine.
- In another bowl combine the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the stand mixer and combine to create the cake batter. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt 4 tbsp of butter with 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Spray 2 cupcake pans with non stick spray to make 24 mini cakes. Add about 1/2 tsp of the butter and brown sugar mixture to each cupcake spot.
- Cut 12 pineapple rings in half, and then make several slits 3/4 of the way through each pineapple piece, on the outside. Cut 12 marachino cherries in half. In each cupcake spot, on top of the butter and brown sugar mixture add 1/2 of the pineapple ring, using your fingers to make it form a circle. Add 1/2 a marashino cherry to the centre of each one. Add the batter on top, evenly divided between the 24.
- Bake the mini pineapple upside down cakes at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the middle springs back when you push it down with your finger.
- Turn the mini pineapple upside down cakes out onto a cooling rack when theyr'e finished. Serve them with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
With these individual mini pineapple upside down cakes to enjoy, life really is a party!
Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit
Love Disney Princess dinner and movie nights? Buy our Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit. The Toolkit includes 6 different Disney Princess movie nights with menus, all the recipes, inspiration, and printables for each one. Check out more about the Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit by clicking here.