Oatmeal Bar Recipe: These are like a combination between a granola bar and oatmeal cookies. Often called Flapjacks in England.
This Oatmeal Bar Recipe is a favourite of mine. Loved by kids and parents alike. It’s perfect as a snack, school lunch addition, or with a cup of tea.
Many years ago I had the opportunity to live in England for a year, while I went to school there. I learned a whole new vocabulary, developed a love of Sunday afternoon walks followed by an ice cream with a Flake in it, and found lots of new foods to love.
One of the things I had there often were flapjacks. They’re kind of a cross between an oatmeal cookie and a granola bar, sometimes called an oatmeal bar here in North America. I haven’t had one since I lived in England 20 years ago -yes I was very young, but I still remember how yummy they were. These were supper easy to make, and my family loved them. I’ve made them now many, many times. They’re become a old standby because they’re easy to make and so good.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup large flake quick-cooking oats (or more regular quick cooking oats)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter melts, sugar dissolves, and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add oats and stir together.
- Spread mixture in baking dish and bake until top is golden (edges will be darker), about 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Cut into bars will they are still soft. Cool completely in pan before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
These would be really great as a snack on a hike or summer picnic.
With yummy snacks like this, life really is a party! Enjoy!
You might also like our Large Flake Oatmeal Cookies recipe here.
Also check out our Easy One Bowl Brownies recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Homemade Custard Creams recipe here.