Pumpkin Pasta Recipe: this pumpkin cannelloni with sage browned butter sauce is comfort food at its best, a great fall and winter recipe.
This easy pumpkin pasta recipe is a favourite of ours. We recently had a Cinderella Dinner and A Movie Night. We’re watching Disney Princess movies this summer and pairing them with a dinner inspired by the film -see the whole Cinderella party here. When we decided to do a Cinderella themed dinner, we knew that we had to include pumpkins, as a nod to the famous pumpkin turned into a carriage by the fairy god mother.
Get Our Free Christmas Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite Christmas recipes and but them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
This pumpkin pasta dish is creamy and mild in flavour. I think most kids will love it too. The addition of the sage browned butter sauce is just what it needs. This dish is especially perfect in the fall. It is comfort food at its best.
This pumpkin pasta recipe is an adaptation of a favourite of ours. It was originally a recipe for pumpkin ravioli with sage browned butter sauce. It’s delicious, but making your own pasta from scratch and turning it into ravioli is very time consuming, labour intensive and fiddly. We loved the flavours, but wanted an easier method for putting this together. We thought about a few different options, like lasagna, or pasta sauce, but cannelloni ticked all the boxes for us, since it allowed for the addition of the sage browned butter sauce, that really makes the dish. This was much easier to make than making your own ravioli from scratch, and had all the great flavours of the original dish.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 can 796 mL pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 24 sage fresh sage leaves
- 1-2 boxes of pasta -cannelloni, manicotti, or fresh lasagna sheets
- Begin by melting 1/2 cup butter in a large frying pan, and saute diced onion, sage, and thyme over mendium heat until the onion is softtened and translucent.
- Add the pumkin puree, salt, peper, cream, and brown sugar to the pan. Stir to combine and heat through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan melt 3/4 cup of butter over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted and begins to foam add 24 whole sage leaves. Let the butter brown. Remove it from the heat when it begins to smell nutty, but isn't burnt.
- We had difficutly finding cannelloni pasta, and ended up using manicoti pasta, which worked great. I used 1 1/2 boxes which were 225 g each. If you can't find either of these, you can also use the fresh lasagna sheets, and add the filling the middle of a sheet and then roll it up yourself. To prepare the pasta, boil it in a large pot of water unitl it's tender, according to the package instructions. Unlike some stuffed pasta, this dish doesn't really get more cooking in the oven -just heated thorugh, so make boil your pasta until it's as tender as you like to eat it.
- Once pumpkin filling is slightly cooled, add to a pipping bag and fill pasta tubes.
- Layer filled pasta in a large baking dish, and pour the sage browned butter sauce over it, and between layers.
- Lastly heat the pasta dish in the oven at 350 until it's heated thorugh, around 15 minutes, and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1150Total Fat: 90gSaturated Fat: 54gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 292mgSodium: 1375mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 8gSugar: 18gProtein: 30g
With our pumpkin cannelloni with sage browned butter, life really is a party!
This recipe was part of our Cinderella themed Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Night -check out all the details about the whole party here.
Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit
Love Disney Princess dinner and movie nights? Buy our Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit. The Toolkit includes 6 different Disney Princess movie nights with menus, all the recipes, inspiration, and printables for each one. Check out more about the Disney Princess Dinner and Movie Toolkit by clicking here.