Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup: this hearty soup is a real crowd pleaser with tender pasta, loads of veggies, and delicious Italian sausage. Easy and sure to become a family favourite.
It’s mid-Febuaray and snowy in our neck of the woods. This time of year, there’s nothing better than a hot bowl of homemade soup, and this Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup is a real family favourite. I love to make a double batch of this and have it for a few days. It’s so good served with some nice fresh bread.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- med. onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 med. carrots, chopped
- 1 can 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 2 boxes of 900mL chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 packages of 350 gram fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Remove the casing from the Italian sausage, and fry in a large soup pot, Break up the sausage as it cooks, so it's in small pieces.
- Once the sausage is browned, add in the chopped onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is transparent.
- Add in the chopped carrots (I do rounds, cut in half again), the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, water, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer with a lid for about 20 min.
- Add in the chopped zucchini (again cut in rounds, and half again), and simmer for another 10 min.
- Lastly, add in your tortellini and frozen corn and cook according to the package directions -fresh is about 10 min., frozen is longer. Once the tortilla is tender the soup is ready to enjoy.
If your kids love pasta as much as mine do…and I can only make spaghetti so often…then this soup is the perfect meal for your family, and it’s packed with veggies too.
With a hot bowl of home made Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup on a cold winter day, life really is a party!
You might also like our Unstuffed Zucchini recipe here.
Also check out our Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Italian Sausage recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Easy Lasagna recipe here.