This Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Italian Sausage is a real family favourite. It’s easy to put together, since it uses premade gnocchi from the pantry, and it’s so, so good.
I discovered gnocchi one day after a discussion at a play date. A friend of mine who comes from an Italian background was talking about what she was having for dinner. I had only tried gnocchi once or twice before at a restaurant.
I was certainly intimidated by the idea of trying to make my own little potato pasta pillows, which is what they are. I was surprised to hear that she bought hers in the dry pasta section of the grocery store. And I thought that if she liked it, I should give it a try too.
She mentioned that she sometimes made gnocchi with a little wine, garlic, mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and sometimes a bit of cream. I thought that sounded delicious, so that very night I picked up the ingredients, added Italian sausage, and we’ve been enjoying it ever since!
Here’s my version of the recipe, easy enough for a weeknight family dinner, but delicious enough for company. It’s great with a nice green salad, crusty garlic bread, and a bottle of wine.
- 16 oz. packages of potato gnocchi
- 1 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 10 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- parmesan cheese to taste
- Begin by removing the sausage from the casing and frying it in a large skillet over a medium high heat until it is cooked through and crumbled. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until they are cooked about 5 min.
- Add the cooked sausage back to the pan, and add the wine. Scrap up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, bring the wine to a boil and let reduce slightly.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the gnocchi according to the package directions.
- Add the cream and parmesan cheese to the sausage and mushroom mixture, and then add in the hot drained gnocchi. Stir to combine, and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 600Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 990mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 22g
This is a one skillet dinner too, so easy clean up. Just another reason to love it.
If you happen to have any leftovers, it sure is a lunch to look forward to the next day.
With Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Italian Sausage, life really is a party!
You might also like our Easy Lasagna Recipe here.
Also check out our Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup Recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Unstuffed Zucchini Recipe here.