Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies: An easy no-bake cookie, perfect for Easter, made to resemble little nests and full of Easter eggs.
These Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies are an old family favourite. I grew up on them. My mom called them Chocolate Drops, they’re sometimes called Macaroons, or No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Cookies, or Chocolate Coconut Macaroons. Whatever their name, they’re delicious.
My mom always made them plain, often on a weeknight after dinner since they’re pretty quick and easy, so we could take some to school the next day for our lunch. I like making them in the spring and for Easter with the addition of some little Easter eggs that make them resemble the sweetest little nests.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups instant rolled oats
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cadbury mini eggs (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine the rolled oats, cocoa, and coconut. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, shortening, milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 min, no longer.
- Remove from the heat and add vanilla. Then stir in the dry ingredients that you set aside earlier.
- Stir well and quickly to combine everything. While the mixture is still hot, drop by tablespoon full onto parchment paper or plastic wrap spread on a table. The mixture will be hot, so use two spoons, or dip your finger in cold water in-between cookies. Be sure to work quickly before the mixture begins to cool and harden.
- While the cookies are still hot, press a few eggs into each. Allow to set completely and enjoy. Store in an air tight container. Makes about 3 dozen.
These are the perfect addition to any spring or Easter get together. And your kids will love them.
With easy homemade Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Nest Cookies, life really is a party!
Want another easy Easter recipe? Check out these Chocolate Mousse Easter Eggs.