Beef and Vegetable Soup Recipe: this homemade version of your favourite thick and chunky soup is delicious and easy to make.
This beef and vegetable soup recipe is nice and thick and hearty. It’s almost a stew. It reminds me of the canned chunky soup my mom used to buy when I was a kid. This homemade version is easy to put together and the perfect meal with some delicious fresh bread.
I was inspired by our Snow White themed dinner and movie night to make it -you can read all about it here. In the film Snow White finds the cabin in the woods and assumes it’s the home of seven children, without a mother to cook and clean for them. Her and her animal friends set about cleaning and cooking dinner. The meal she make them is a hearty soup boiling away over the fire in a large pot. We don’t get to know what kind of soup it is, but I imagine it’s something nice and thick and hearty like our beef and vegetable soup recipe.
A lot of people add tomato paste to a soup like this, but I much prefer it with just the beef flavour, so I’m sharing my beef and vegetable soup recipe without tomato paste. You could add some if you miss it. Adding in the red wine helps add a real depth to the flavour of the soup, and a richness. And don’t worry all the alcohol burns off as it cooks.
Any stewing beef will work in the this recipe. I used a outside round roast, and cut it up for mine.
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups beef stock
- 3 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine 3 tbsp of flour with 1/4 tsp pepper, and 1/2 salt on a plate. Roll the bite size beef peices in the mixture to coat them. Add 2 tbsp oil to a large pot and brown the beef over medium high heat, in serval batches. Once it's browned, remove it from the pan.
- Dice the celery and onion. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pot and saute the onion and celery pieces over medium heat, until the onion is transparent.
- Next add in the Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and peper. Add the worcestershire sauce and the wine to the pot and use a wooden spoon to stir off any brown bites from the bottom of the pan. Now add the beef stock to the pan, along with the browned beef, the carrots that have been peeled and sliced, and the potatoes that have been peeled and cut into large cubes.
- Bring the pot to the boil and cook until the carrots and potatoes are tender, around 20 minutes over a medium heat.
- Lastly, add the frozen peas, and bring the soup upto a boil agin. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 1309mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 15g
This beef and vegetable soup recipe is pure comfort food, hearty and delicious, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
With a beef and vegetable soup recipe, life really is a party!