Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup: so delicious with a silky smooth texture and the flavour of broccoli and cheddar cheese soup in this creamy soup.
This easy broccoli cheddar soup recipe is perfect on a cold day to warm you up. It’s comfort food at its best.
It snowed here yesterday…again. It is a white winter land outside this year, and it makes me hungry for a nice hot bowl of soup. Here’s a lovely recipe. It’s rich, and creamy and perfect with a nice loaf of crusty bread.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 med. onion -diced
- 2 garlic cloves -minced
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 heads of broccoli -cut into pieces, including the stems
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups of half and half
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese -grated
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan, and add onions and garlic. Sauté until translucent.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot, and the broccoli pieces and cook for 10 min. or until the broccoli is soft.
- Remove from the heat and use a immersion blender to puree the mixture.
- Combine flour with cold water and stir to remove all the lumps, then add to the soup mixture. Return mixture to the heat, and allow to boil for one min. to cook out the flour.
- Lower the heat, and add the cream and cheese to the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Heat carefully over a low heat, taking care not to let the soup boil after the cream and cheese are added. Enjoy!
The first time I made this soup, without the flour to thicken it and with more cream and milk, it split on me. It still tasted great but lost its lovely silky texture. I tweaked the recipe and made sure not to let the soup get too hot after I added the cream and cheese and it worked out great. So, be very careful not to let it get too hot, and never to let it boil after the cream and cheese is added in.
With a nice big bowl of this easy broccoli cheddar soup, life really is a party!
You might also like our Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup recipe here.
Also check out our Homemade Tomato Soup recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic recipe here.