DIY Pinecone Christmas Balls: Easy to make and beautiful. Made with simple pinecones glued to styrofoam balls. Perfect for Christmas.
I was recently visiting a Christmas tour of homes, and one of the houses had some pretty pine cone balls. I thought they’d work really well with our winter woodland theme this Christmas and decided to make some.
- small spruce cones
- styrofoam balls
- hot glue gun and hot glue
- silver spray paint (optional)
- glitter and glue (optional)
The hardest part was finding small pine cones -actually they’re spruce cones. After driving around a few neighbourhoods, I managed to find and collect some. I didn’t even have to wear all black. 😉 Along with lots and lots of little spruce cones, I used three different sized large styrofoam balls from the dollar store, and lots and lots and lots of hot glue.
How To Make Pine Cone Balls
1. When you first collect the cones from outside they will be closed up. They need a little heat to open up. After I collected my pinecones I left them near the heat vent in my home for a few days and they opened up quite a bit. (You could also so place them on a cookie sheet in a very low oven for a few hours.)
2. Then I just glued them onto the styrofoam ball, as close together as possible, and varying the directions they went in to try and make it look random.
3. You could leave the balls just like this or add a little spray paint to them. I sprayed them very, very lightly with a little silver spray paint, to just add a little sheen. Then I added some glue and glitter in just a few small spots to add a little Christmas sparkle.
I love all their rustic texture, and the little hit of silver and glitter to add a little Christmas magic.
I added the balls and some greens to my console table. They’re nested beside my vintage typewriter.
They type writer has a special letter started.
On the table there’s also some candle lanterns and two sweet little woodland deer.
It makes a happy greeting when Christmas visitors arrive, and the pine smells so good.
With DIY Pine Cone Christmas balls to decorate this Christmas, life really is a party!
You might also like How To Make A Pine Cone Wreath here.
Also check out our Scented Bleached Pine Cones here.
You might also enjoy our Paper Feather Garland here.