Easy Moroccan Chicken Tagine: easy to make without a tagine, loaded with green olives, apricots, and bacon. Sure to become a favourite.
This easy Moroccan chicken tagine has become one of my very favourite recipes. It’s easy to make and brings back memories of Morocco at Epcot centre, the closest I’ve come to the real Morocco -haha! It is even better the next day, and I think it might have to inspire a Moroccan themed dinner party in the near future. It’s also great for a potluck, and always receives ohs and ahs from everybody.
- 6 slices bacon
- 10 oz. chicken broth
- 16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup dried apricots -cut in half
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green olives
- Preheat oven to 300F. Chop bacon and fry in a large oven proof dutch oven until crispy. Drain off excess oil, and add chicken broth (I usually use more than 10 oz -enough to almost cover the chicken in the pot just makes it have more sauce). Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from the pan bottom.
- Stir in chicken, apricots, garlic and seasonings. (There is a lot of cumin in this recipe, 2 tbsp. is not a typo.)Bring to a boil over a high heat, stirring often.
- Add olives and sliced onions to the mixture. At this stage if your saucepan isn’t oven proof, simply turn chicken mixture into a casserole dish. Tightly cover.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, stirring half way through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 283mgSodium: 1355mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 59g
I serve this over simple couscous. This recipe makes great leftovers, since all the flavours just meld together better overnight.
With easy Moroccan chicken tagine, life really is a party!
You might also like Butter Chicken Pizza recipe here.
Also check out our Unstuffed Zucchini recipe here.
You might also enjoy Mom’s Easy Lasagna recipe here.