Homemade Flatbread Crackers
Flatbread Crackers: These homemade flatbread crackers are easy to make, and so much better than store bought. Guests will be so impressed.
This flatbread cracker recipe is very easy and made from pantry ingredients. It’s become a favourite of mine. It’s perfect for any cheese board, or charcuterie board and guests can never believe that the crackers are homemade.
Yes, you can make your own crackers. And yes, they are worth it. This recipe is easy, simple to change up flavour wise, and so, so yummy.
So I was at a swanky cocktail reception, downtown about a month ago, and meandered over to their cheese board, like you do, and noticed the amazing handmade looking, artisan flatbread crackers and thought to myself, like every blogger does, maybe I could make those. I found a great recipe and gave it a try. I’ve made so many times since, they’re that good. Perfect for a summer picnic. I packed them up with some cheese, nuts, dried fruit, red pepper honey, and individual bottles of sparkling wine for the perfect picnic. Perfect for your weekend?
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for brushing
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add very coarsely freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir dry ingredients to incorporate. Make a well in centre, then add water and oil and gradually stir into flour with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
- Knead dough gently on a work surface 4 or 5 times. Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll out each piece into a rustic long baton shape. The dough should be very thin. Lightly brush top with additional oil and sprinkle with sea salt and a little more pepper. (Roll out dough on parchment and transfer sheet and all to the baking sheet, or just spray baking sheet with cooking spray and bake directly on baking sheet.)
- Bake in batches, until flatbread crackers are pale golden and browned in spots, 8 to 10 min. Flatbread crackers can be made 2 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cook’s Note: Substitute pepper for other flavouring. You might try fresh herbs like rosemary, or thyme, or some parmesan cheese, or try adding nuts or seeds. Use your imagination and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Cook’s Note: We made ours Salt and Pepper, but you can substitute pepper for other flavourings. You might try fresh herbs like rosemary, or thyme, or some parmesan cheese, or try adding nuts or seeds. Use your imagination and enjoy!
With Homemade Flatbread Crackers, life really is a party!
You might also like our Spicy Cheese Straws recipe here.
Also check out our Homemade Potato Chip recipe here.
You might also enjoy our How To Make The Perfect Cheeseboard here.