Yes, that’s right my friends, you can make funnel cakes at home! You don’t have to wait until the next fair, you can make it yourself and impress all your friends and family -and let me tell you, they will be impressed.
My funnel cake adventure started when I spotted this amazing contraption at Bulk Barn one day. It’s a funnel specifically made for making funnel cakes, although you can also make it with a squeeze bottle.
And here’s the inside view. This funnel is designed with a stopper, so you can add your batter, and when you’re ready, remove the stopper and let the desired amount of batter flow out, then replace the stopper to stop the flow.
I found a great recipe here, and modified it a tiny bit. Here’s my version.
Homemade Funnel Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- icing sugar
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar to a mixing bowl and whisk.
- In another large mixing bowl, stir together the eggs and the milk.
- Add flour mixture to the egg mixture, and beat until smooth. The consistency should be thin enough to run through a small kitchen funnel.
- In a deep fryer, heat the oil to 360 degrees F (182 degrees C).
- Using the funnel, or even a squeeze bottle release 1/2 cup of the batter into the oil while making a circular motion. Fry until golden brown. Use tongs and wide spatula to turn the cake over carefully. Fry the second side one minute. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with sifted confectioners’ sugar.
These are best served nice and hot. Top them with a combination of ice cream, fresh fruit, maple syrup, and whip cream, or whatever your favourite is.
With homemade funnel cakes on the menu, life really is a party! Enjoy!