Homemade Breaded Onion Rings: great recipe to make breaded onion rings, guaranteed to wow!
Last night, Friday night, Homemade Breaded Onion Rings seemed like the perfect treat to kick off the weekend. These onion rings were amazing. They’re the perfect balance of crunchy seasoned goodness on the outside, and sweet tender onion on the inside.
I heard it said once that if you only ate french fries when you made them yourself, from scratch, it would probably be about right. Since they’re a lot of effort, it’s good that they’re a sometimes, not all the time treat. The same could be said of these amazing onion rings.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Not an everyday kind of food, a little fiddly to make, but so, so worth it. These homemade onion rings are definitely worth the trouble. After the first crunchy bite, I’m sure you’ll agree with me.
- 1 large sweet Spanish onion
- 1 1/4 cup flour -divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg -beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- oil for frying
- Slice onion and dip rings into 1/4 cup flour to coat them, shaking off any excess.
- To make the batter, combine 1 cup of flour, and the baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk and egg to make a smooth batter. One by one, dip in the onion rings that have been coated with flour already. Let them drip to remove any excess.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the two kinds of bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Stir to mix well.
- Dip the battered onion rings into the bread crumb mixture to coat evenly.
- Fry the onion rings in a deep fryer with oil at 375 degrees, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel, and sprinkle with additional salt, to taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 40Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 121mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
These are best served nice and hot with a little extra sprinkle of salt.
These are guaranteed to take your regular burger night to a whole new level.
These would also be a pretty impressive addition to any party -we like them with a little ketchup or chipotle mayo on the side. Hope you love these too.
With Homemade Onion Rings, life really is a party!
These onion rings would be so good with our Irish Burgers.
You might also like these Homemade Potato Chips:
Also you might enjoy our Stuffed Mushroom Recipe.