Pumpkin Cream Puffs: A cream puff filled with pumpkin pastry cream, whipped cream, and topped with warm caramel sauce for the perfect fall dessert.
This pumpkin cream puffs recipe is a real fall favourite. They’re perfect for fall entertaining. If you’re looking for something a little bit out of the ordinary then these are perfect. There are a few different components to make, but they all come together into the perfect fall bite. These pumpkin spice cream puffs are perfect for the pumpkin pie spice fan. They’re a nice twist on the classic cream puff recipe. And they would be a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving desserts. I also really like these for entertaining. They’re a little bit of an upgrade on a slice of pumpkin pie, and sure to impress.
I’m so excited to be joining in with the Seasonal Simplicity Fall Series hosted by Krista at The Happy Housie. Today we’re sharing 25 amazing Fall Recipe Ideas. Be sure to check them out at the bottom of the post.
Pumpkin Cream Puffs
?Traditional cream puffs are getting a makeover for pumpkin season. You’ll want to add this one to your collection of pumpkin recipes this fall.
- 1 cup water
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
Pumpkin Pastry Cream
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- pinch Of salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- To make the pastry shells, first combine water, butter, salt, and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the flour to the pan and beat until everything comes together. Put the pan back on the heat and beat vigorously until everything is off the sides of the pan and a ball forms. The cream puff dough will lump together and there will begin to be a film on the bottom of the pan.
- Next, transfer mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until it breaks up a little. Add the eggs one at a time into the dough, and beat until it all comes together. It might seem like it is not going to come back together, but keep mixing, and it will. Once all the eggs are added and the dough has come together, transfer it into a piping bag -or just a ziplock bag with the corner cut off.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper -or spray with cooking spray. Pipe drops onto the baking sheet. Moisten your finger with water to smooth out the peaks on top.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. They will be golden brown and puffed when they're ready. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Pumpkin Pastry Cream
- To make the Pumpkin Pastry Cream whisk together whipping cream, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks with sugar and salt, then whisk in cornstarch until mixture becomes pale yellow and thick.
- Slowly whisk about half of the hot cream into the egg mixture to temper, then return the yolk/cream mixture back to the saucepan and cook until thick and glossy.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer to a small bowl and press plastic wrap flush to the surface. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serv.
- For the caramel sauce, mix butter, brown sugar, half & half, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook while whisking gently until thicker.
- Add vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further.
- To serve, slice each cream puff in half and fill with 1 tbsp of creamy pumpkin filling, and 1 tbsp of sweetened whipped cream. Replace the lid. Pour warm caramel sauce over the top and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g
If you want something other than the traditional pumpkin pie, these are perfect.
People Love These
The first time I ever made these I made them for a fall dinner party. My fairly proper guests loved them so much, that when they were finished one of them started to lick their plate. The others then promptly started laughing, and joined in. Next they all sheepishly asked for seconds. Now that’s a good dessert. 😉
Can I Make These Ahead Of Time?
The puffs themselves are best eaten the day they’re baked since they have a crisp consistency on the outside. The other components can all be made ahead, and the sauce can be warmed up in the microwave just before serving.
With homemade Pumpkin Cream Puffs, life really is a party!
More Fall Recipe Ideas
Next I’m excited to be joining a group of 25 other bloggers who are also sharing a fabulous fall recipe with you today! Hop around to see what other delicious ideas they’ve come up with…
Easiest Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Bean Soup at The Happy Housie
Zuppa Toscana Soup at Somewhat Simple
Butternut Squash and Quinoa Chili at Town and Country Living
Hearty Sausage and Lentil Soup at In My Own Style
Gluten Free Gnocchi with Butternut Squash, Sausage and Arugula at Willow Street Interiors
Easy Vegan Cranberry Cream Cheese Loaf and Almond Crackers at Zevy Joy
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies at Jenna Kate at Home
Mini Lemon Cranberry Cakes with Ginger Drizzle at Sincerely Marie, Designs
Absolutely the Best Homemade Peach Coffee Cake at Home Made Lovely
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread at Taryn Whiteaker Designs
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Crepes at TIDBITS Cami
Chocolate Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bars at Clean and Scentsible
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds at Finding Silver Pennies
Pumpkin Pie French Toast Bake at A Pretty Life
Salted Caramel Pumpkin Spice Latte at Hallstrom Home
Apple Cider Margarita at Rooms For Rent
Instant Pot Caramel Apple Cheesecake at TIDBITS Marci
Mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting at Satori Design for Living
Easiest Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake at Inspiration for Moms
Whitney’s Pumpkin Muffins at Amber Tysl
Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Dip at The Turquoise Home
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp at Modern Glam
Pumpkin Pie and Cheesecake Popsicles at Paint Me Pink
Mini Apple Tart with Custard at Happy Happy Nester
Pumpkin Cream Puffs at Life is a Party
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting at Nina Hendrick Design Co.
You might also like or Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe here.
Also check out our Pumpkin Blondies, a tried and true favourite!