Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies: with an almond shortbread base, raspberry jam filling, and a drizzle of almond icing on top these cookies are perfect.
It’s the final day of our Christmas Cookie Week, and I’m sharing a real favourite of mine. If you love raspberries and almond, like I do, you will love these Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies.
These delicious cookies are so good. They have a shortbread base, but it’s made a little different with the addition of a little almond extract to the dough. And these have a great texture like classic shortbread cookies.
The teaspoon of jam is baked in these jam thumbprint cookies, and the final drizzle of almond flavoured icing is the perfect finishing touch. You could probably make these little cookies with any flavor of jam, but the raspberry filling makes these my favorite cookies.
- 1 1/4 cups butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond flavor extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 tsp milk
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment combine the butter, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract at a high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in the flour and combine at a low speed until it forms a dough.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls and place the small balls on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Use a 1 inch cookie scoop to make the job easier. Use your thumb or small spoon to make a thumbprint indent in the center of each cookie. Fill the indent with sweet raspberry jam, about a 1/4 teaspoon jam per cookie.
- Bake at 350F in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool cookies for about 1 minute on the cookie sheet and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze combine the powdered sugar, almond extracts and milk in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Drizzle over the cooled cookies and enjoy. Store in an airtight container.
These almond raspberry thumbprint cookies are lovely for Christmas. The red raspberry jam in the center of the cookie looks so perfect this time of year for the holiday season, and the touch of almond extract makes these sweet cookies feel special too.
These raspberry almond shortbread thumbprints are the tastiest cookies and are a great addition to any Christmas cookie plate if you’re looking for holiday cookies. I hope you love them as much as I do. They’d also be great classic cookies for cookie exchanges.
With home made Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies, life really is a party!
Christmas Cookie Week
Be sure to check out some of the other cookies for Christmas Cookie Week, including our Brown Sugar Caramel Thumbprint cookies here.
Also, our tried and true Sugar Cookie Recipe here.
And these easy and delicious Mincemeat Pinwheels.