Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies: these peanut butter cookies have heart shaped thumbprint centres that are filled with jam or jelly.
We go together like peanut butter and jam! For Valentine’s Day I thought it would be fun to combine two of my favorites, peanut butter and jam, for the perfect cookie. We made these peanut butter thumbprint cookies extra cute with a heart shaped thumbprint filled with our favourite jam. These are so sweet for celebrating Valentine’s Day or love any time of year with the heart shaped center, but if you’re making them for any other time of year or as Christmas cookies you can always make them with a regular thumbprint.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Jam or Jelly
Depending where you’re from you might prefer peanut butter and jam or peanut butter and jelly. We used raspberry jam to make our cookies. You can use any flavor jam or jelly that you like. Other classic jams or jellies that go well with peanut butter are strawberry or grape. If you prefer to avoid the tiny seeds that are often in jam, feel free to use seedless jam or jelly, whichever you prefer.
Crunchy or Smooth Peanut Butter
If you prefer crunchy peanut butter in general you can use it here as well, and it will give the cookies a crunchy texture. We used regular peanut butter that is smooth.
- I cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam or jelly
- To make the peanut butter cookie dough, add the butter, creamy peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer, or into the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Cream the ingredients together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and combine.
- Next add the dry ingredients -the flour to the wet ingredients. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the peanut butter mixture. Combine at a low speed to start, and then until completely combined, taking care not to over mix.
- Use a 1-inch cookie scoop or a tablespoon to scoop out the cookie dough balls and then shape the dough into 1-inch balls by rolling in your hand. Next, place the balls on ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Then flatten the balls slightly and use your pinky finger to create a heart shaped thumbprint in the center of each ball.
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until just beginning to become light golden brown.
- As soon as you remove the baked cookies from the oven, while they are still hot, use the back of a small teaspoon to push down the middle of each cookie again in a heart shape, and then remove from the cookie sheet and place them onto a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are still warm on the wire rack, use small spoons to carefully add about a half a teaspoon to the centre of each cookie in a heart shape. The heat of the cookie will help the jam melt into place. Having said that though, you may want to add the jam as needed, since they're tricky to store in an airtight container once the jelly thumbprint cookies are all filled. If you are added the jam after the cookies are cooled, you can warm up the jam in a microwave for just a few seconds to make it easier to work with and less stiff.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
PB and J Valentine Cards Free Printables
If you are a lover of peanut butter and jam I am confident you will love these cookies. The jam and peanut butter flavor is a familiar taste, that you will love in sweet cookie form.
Subscribe For Free Cards
I thought these would be fun to make for Valentine’s Day and designed a few free printable Valentine cards that you can use for giving these to someone special. Subscribe below for instant access to our Free Resource Library where you can download the free printable and print on your home computer or local office supply store. Where I come from we usually say peanut butter and jam, but I know others usually say peanut butter and jelly so I’ve made Valentines in both versions and you can choose whichever version you prefer.
Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwich Cookie Option
Another option is to make easy peanut butter cookies with this same recipe, and not add the heart thumbprint, but instead to do the traditional crisscross design made with a fork pushed into center in one direction, then again in the opposite way. These are perfect cookies if you want regular peanut butter cookies. This peanut butter cookie recipe is sure to become your new go to. Another option though to create a different kind of peanut butter and jam cookie is to use two regular style peanut butter cookies and turn them into sandwich cookies by added a good bit of jam between two and sandwiching the together. This option is a slightly less fiddly option, with all the same great taste, but not quite so cute as the heart shape in the center of each cookie.
You could make these into peanut butter chocolate thumbprint cookies by replacing the jam or jelly with chocolate ganache. To make a chocolate filling, heat heavy whipping cream and and then stir in chocolate. The chocolate will melt and you can add the filling to the centre of the cookie to create chocolate peanut butter thumbprint cookies.
You could make these into traditional chocolate peanut butter blossom cookies, and instead of creating the thumbprint before baking, leave them round and as soon as them come out of the oven, push a hershey kiss into the center. Or one more option, make the peanut butter cookies and add in some chocolate chips for the chocolate lover.
These cookies are so good they’re sure to become your one of your new favorites. They’re perfect for sharing at Valentine’s Day with our free printable Valentine card, or anytime of year that you want to show someone a little love. With Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies like these, life really is a party!
You might also like our Brown Sugar Shortbread Caramel Thumbprint Cookie Recipe here.
Also check out our Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies here.
You might also like our Jam Jam Cookie Recipe here.