Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Recipe: creamy vanilla base, with tangy rhubarb compote and sweet strawberry compote ribbons throughout.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream is so good, but the rhubarb is the star of the show, so maybe we should say Rhubarb Strawberry Ice Cream. This ice cream just might be the best ice cream I’ve ever made -like ever! If you’re looking for great summer desserts, you will love it’s creamy, sweet, tangy flavour.
It’s so perfectly creamy and smooth, and then with ribbons of tangy rhubarb, and sweet strawberries throughout that make it exciting in every bite. We served ours in homemade waffle cone wafers to make Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Rhubarb and Strawberries
Rhubarb is a new love for me. I didn’t really ever have it growing up, but this year I can’t get enough of it. We even purchased a rhubarb plant for the garden to feed my new addiction in the future. I just love that combo of sweet and tangy. And speaking of perfect combinations, the tart rhubarb pairs so beautifully with strawberries. It’s a classic for a reason.
We used fresh rhubarb for our ice cream, but if you don’t have fresh, you can substitute frozen rhubarb. This is a great way to use this seasonal fruit. Rhubarb season is about to become your favourite time of year.
Let me warn you that this recipe does have a fair number of steps involved. None are too complicated, but it is a fairly lengthy progress. It is so worth it though. I think this is my new very favourite recipe.
You can add the strawberry rhubarb mixture that makes the beautiful pink color swirl into the vanilla ice cream base to suit your own personal taste. Less is if you want more of the delicious vanilla base to come through -more rhubarb if you like it more tangy, more strawberries if you like it more sweet. It really is the perfect combination of flavours. This deliciously fruity ice cream is sure to become your new favourite. Anyone with a sweet tooth will love it, especially during the summer heat. This is the ideal ice cream for a rhubarb lover. Next time you have a crop of fresh rhubarb, you should make this decadent strawberry rhubarb ice cream.
For The Ice Cream Base
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
For The Rhubarb Compote
- 2 cups rhubarb -cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
For The Strawberry Compote
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into saucepan, and heat over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally and remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in colour, then gradually whisk in the sugar. Temper the egg mixture by gradually adding small amounts of the cream, until 1/3 has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon -reaching 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Pour the ice cream base mixture into a container and cool at room temperature half an hour. Stir in the vanilla, and the inside scraping of the vanilla bean (or omit the vanilla bean and use 2 tsp of vanilla extract). Refrigerate the mixture 4-8 hours until the temperature is 40 degrees F or below.
- To make the rhubarb compote, stir the rhubarb pieces and 1/3 cup sugar in a medium saucepan, and let sand off the heat about 10 minutes, until the rhubarb releases some of its liquid.
Next bring the rhubarb mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb pieces have broken down, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let the cooked fruit cool. Set aside.
- For The Strawberry mixture, combine strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar, pinch of salt, and 2 tbsp of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook stirring occasionally until the strawberries begin to break down, and the juices thicken -about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, and add vanilla and lemon juice. Let cool, and set aside.
- Pour the cooled ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s direction to churn ice cream. When the ice cream is a soft serve consistency stir in ribbons of the cooled rhubarb and strawberry fruit mixture to taste. Place in an airtight container and freeze 3-5 hours before serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 274mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 3gSugar: 58gProtein: 11g
I don’t think my new rhubarb plant will be ready to harvest this year. So I’ll be picking up some more rhubarb at one of my local grocery stores, or the farmer’s market to make another batch of this amazing ice cream with fresh produce! It will be especially good right now while our local strawberries are in season. Your taste buds will thank you for trying this recipe. I can’t be held responsible for this ice cream becoming your very favorite flavor ever.
With homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream, life really is a party!
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
Want more homemade ice cram recipes? Check out our Kit Kat Ice Cream Recipe here.
You might also like Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream recipe.