Last night we had guests for dinner, and I wanted a real summer dessert. I made pavlova. The original recipe is from allrecipes.com, with a few slight changes.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pint heavy cream
- assorted summer berries, I used strawberries and blackberries
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Add in vanilla extract, white vinegar and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture in a large circle on to a large baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool.
- Fill the centre with sweetened whipped cream and top with summer berries.
It was very well received. Light and crisp on the outside, and gooey and marshmallow in the middle, with a little sweet cream and tart fresh berries. The perfect light ending to a big meal on a summer evening.
Try it this weekend!