My mom’s been making this easy lasagna ever since I can remember. It’s simple, delicious, a crowd pleaser, and a great make ahead. Tick, tick, tick, ticking all the boxes. It’s perfect for these cold days of winter when everyone is longing for hearty, delicious comfort food.
It’s great as a make-ahead, and fav of hers for company since she can make it in the morning or the day before and not have to worry once the company arrives.
This lasagna also freezes great, just put it together and freeze un-baked. When you want to have it, pull it out of the freezer and into the oven, adjusting the cooking time to a little longer if cooking from frozen.
I also love that this recipe includes cottage cheese, a terrific creamy addition. Gay Lea Nordic Cottage Cheese helps keep this lasagna from being too heavy, and is a great source of calcium, and high in protein, and delicious!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8oz. package of mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 650 mL jar spaghetti sauce
- 28 oz can of tomatoes, drained
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 lasagna noodles
- 400 g package mozzarella
- 500 g container Gay Lea Nordic 2% Cottage Cheese
- 2 tbsp parmasen cheese
- In a large pot of salted water, boil lasagna noodles for about 9 min. until they are aldente.
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef.
- Remove the beef from the pan, and sauté the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic in a little olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until the onions are transparent and peppers and mushrooms are softened.
- Add the beef back into the vegetables, along with the jar of spaghetti sauce, drained tomatoes, and 3 bay leaves Stir to combine, and then remove from the heat.
- In a 9 x 11 baking dish, add half of the meat mixture as the bottom layer of the lasagna.
- Next add a layer of lasagna noodles. Then grate half of the mozzarella cheese as the next layer.
- Spoon the Gay Lea Nordic Cottage Cheese in an even layer as the next level.
- Repeat the layers with the rest of the meat mixture, another layer of noodles and the second half of the grated mozzarella cheese. Finish my sprinkling the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven, for 40 - 60 min. Cover with foil for the first 30 min of baking, then remove for the last 10-30 min. of cooking. (Remember to not eat the bay leaves -you should find three.)
The smell of my Mom’s Easy Lasagna cooking brings back lots of childhood memories, and anticipation of a great dinner.
With my Mom’s Easy Lasagna, life really is a party!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.