Cherry Almond Coffee Cake: I lovely not too sweet cake, with cherries, almond, and streusel topping. Made with sour cream to keep it lovely and moist.
I love the combination of cherries and almonds and this cherry almond coffee cake with it’s strudel topping and icing drizzle is so good!
This is the time of year, when there is nothing nicer than a little time to sit and enjoy the garden with a cup of tea or coffee and a lovely slice of cake. It’s also the time of year when you’re more likely to spend all your time in the garden weeding, planting, mulching, and digging.
Get Our Free Christmas Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite Christmas recipes and but them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
I certainly have lots to do in my garden. But even though it’s not all done, even though there are weeds and things looking a little more wild than perfect, it’s still worth some of my time to sit back and enjoy it.
So yesterday afternoon, Maddie and I set up a little spot to enjoy an afternoon snack together, this lovely Cherry Almond Coffee Cake. It’s made with sour cream, which makes it lovely and moist. I love baking with Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream, it’s so silky and decadent and adds a real richness to any baking.
For the Cake
- 6 tbsp room temp. butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2/3 cup Gay Lea sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cherries
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/3 cups flour
For the Glaze
- 5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Spray a 9 -inch spring form pan with non-stick baking spray, and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the cake, cream together butter and sugar. Once creamed, add in eggs, vanilla and almond extract and sour cream. Combine well.
- Add in dry ingredients -flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until combined, taking care not to over mix. Gently stir in cherries.
- Smooth batter into cake pan.
- For the streusel topping, combine white and brown sugar, almonds, and flour. Stir in melted butter. Sprinkle streusel over cake batter.
- Cook 40-50 min at 350 degrees until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool. Meanwhile make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, almond extract and milk in a small bowl and whisking until smooth. Drizzle glaze over the cooled cake. Enjoy.
This really is the perfect little break in your day, whether enjoyed in the garden or not. The cake is not too sweet with lovely plump tart cherries, almond, and the sweet crunch of the streusel topping. Yum.
With homemade Cherry Almond Coffee Cake, life really is a party!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
You might also like our Almond Cake with Raspberry Jam recipe here.
Also check out our Peach Almond Crumble Muffins here.
You might also enjoy our Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies here.