Marinated, Grilled, Flattened Chicken Recipe
Marinated, Grilled, Flattened Chicken Recipe -Spackcocked Chicken: The perfect recipe for marinated grilled flattened chicken, easy, moist, and ingredients you have on hand.
This Flattened Chicken, or Spatchcock Chicken is a real summer favourite of ours, that the whole family enjoys. We’ve made this great recipe many, many times and perfected our method.
Marinated Flattened Chicken Recipe
It’s perfect for summer entertaining, best cooked on a low bbq for an hour our so, perfect for an afternoon of enjoying a few drinks and appetizers on the patio with guests while it cooks. It’s delicious, and makes very moist and juicy chicken with tender meat. This recipe is perfect if you have some white meat and some dark meat lovers. Cut up the chicken and let the white meat lovers enjoy the chicken breasts and wings, while the dark meat lovers enjoy the chicken thighs and legs. The step by step instructions make it easy to put together this butterflied chicken recipe, that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Marinated, Grilled, Flattened Chicken Recipe
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 whole chicken
- To begin, flatten the chicken. To do this remove the backbone of the chicken by slicing down either side of the backbone with a sharp knife or sharp kitchen shears to remove it. Discard the backbone, and flatten the chicken, pushing down on the breast bone, and chicken's legs with the palm of your hand.
In a ziplock bag (opened inside of a large bowl to keep it from spilling) combine all the rest of the ingredients to make the marinade.
- Mix together the marinade, add in the butterfly chicken, and seal, taking care to remove as much air as possible.
At this point, either marinade for several hours or up to 12 hours, or freeze for another day. If freezing, on the day you'd like to cook the chicken, remove it from the freezer in the morning and allow it to defrost in the ziplock bag as it marinades.
- The best way to cook the flat chicken, is to use in-direct heat, by lighting one side of the grill, but placing the chicken on the opposite side of the grill. Place the whole bird out flat, skin side up, and discard any left over marinade. Cook for approximately one hour at medium heat, depending on the size of the chicken. Cook until the chicken has crisp skin and is golden brown, and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Test the temperature with a meat thermometer placed in a thick area of the chicken, like the breast meat, or the thickest part of the thigh. Avoid cooking at a high heat, which will cause the outside to burn before it's cooked through, and dry out the meat.
- Let the whole roast chicken rest on a cutting board or baking sheet covered in aluminum foil for 10 minutes, before cutting into pieces and serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 759Total Fat: 62gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 49gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1904mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 43g
Make Ahead and Freeze
We started trying out this recipe when we were first married. There was a local gourmet butcher, and they sold marinated flattened chickens, vacuum packed and ready for grilling. We loved them, but we didn’t love the gourmet price.
So, we started playing around with our own recipe. We’ve found over the years, that this one of our favorite easy recipes for freezer cooking too.
I often buy a few extra chickens when they’re on sale, make up the marinade and flatten the chicken and put it in a ziplock bag and pop it in the freezer. It’s the perfect way to meal prep ahead of time. On the morning of the day I want to cook it, I take it out of the freezer and let it de-frost and marinade at the same time, by dinner it’s defrosted and beautiful marinated. Just make sure it’s up to room temperature before cooking.
This is one of the most delicious recipes for preparing chicken. It always results in flavorful chicken with juicy white meat, which can be challenging sometimes when cooking a whole chicken. It’s easy enough to be a great weeknight meal, but delicious enough to be a great recipe for company and entertaining too.
With a easy, delicious, and super moist marinated, and grilled flattened chicken on the bbq, life really is a party!
You might also enjoy our Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe here.
Also check out our Homemade Baked Beans recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning recipe here.