Chicken Salad Toast Cups: use store bought rotisserie chicken and regular old white sandwich bread to make these easy and delicious tea sandwiches. Perfect for a tea party or picnic.
These Chicken Salad Toast Cups are a real favourite of mine. I’ve been making them for ages, and they’re an old standby for tea parties -and yes, we are those people who seem to have tea parties on the regular, lol.
They’re really easy to make, and they always impress guests. They’re also so good! My kids and I just might fight over the leftovers.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Memories of Girl Guides and Tea Gardens
I first made these little toast cups way back when I was a Girl Guide. I loved Girl Guides growing up. It was such a great part of my life.
One of the things our unit did to fundraise was an annual bazar. There were tables for shoppers to visit, like the plant table, the bake sale table, and the white elephant table. There was also aways a tea garden. We had a little menu of tea, tea sandwiches, and sweets and us girls with the help of our leaders were the waitresses.
We always used to serve these toast cups with assorted salads in them -egg, tuna, or chicken. And they were always a hit with customers -ie. our moms and grandmothers, haha. I remember so fondly being in the back kitchen making more toast cups with my leader as we served.
I don’t think I ever made them at home growing up, but at some point I was hosting a tea party as an adult and remembered these. I’ve been making them ever since, and everyone always loves them.
These are made of real standard grocery store items -think store bought rotisserie chicken and regular old white sandwich bread.
For the Chicken Salad
- cooked chicken, I use a store bought rotisserie chicken
- red onion
- mayo or miracle whip, what ever you prefer
- sprouts for garnish
For the Toast Cups
- white bread
- To make the chicken salad, start by cutting up your whole rotisserie chicken and removing all the bones and skins. Dice any large pieces of the chicken and place in a mixing bowl.
- Chop 1/2 -1/4 of a red onion, and 1-2 stalks of celery. Place in the mixing bowl with the chicken.
- Add mayo or miracle whip (I like the tangy zip of miracle whip, but know lots prefer mayo) and stir through the chicken, celery and onions to create a moist salad. I used about 3/4 cup for my whole chicken, but do it to suit your taste.
- For the toast cups, butter a slice of bread on both sides and cut off the crusts.
- Push the bread into a muffin pan, by placing one finger in the middle of each side. This will create the little flower/cup shape.
- Bake the toast at 350 for 20-30 until golden brown and toasted.
- Let cool. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve. Will keep for a day or two if sealed.
- To serve, fill the cups with chicken salad and garnish with some sprouts.
Feel free to add chopped radish to the chicken salad, or add chopped apple and walnuts for a different version.
These cups will stay nice and crunchy for a day or two in an airtight container.
My favourite is to have these toast cups with chicken salad, but you could use tuna if you like or egg salad as a vegetarian option.
These are perfect for a tea party, and would even be great for a picnic -just pack the salad and toast cups separately and assemble at the picnic.
With homemade Chicken Salad Toast Cups, life really is a party!
You might also enjoy our Turkey Sandwiches with Cranberry Mayo here.
Also check out our Easy Food Processor Scones recipe here.
You might also like our Shortbread Cookies recipe here.