Meat and Vegetable Chili: this is not your average chili. All the awesome kidney beans, ground beef, and spices but loaded with other vegetables too.
This meat and vegetable chili has a got a little extra goodnesses with the addition of loads of vegetables.
This is my version of my mom’s chili, she got the recipe from Kerry, a family friend, although I’m sure his was much spicier. The original recipe calls for some banana peppers, though my mom never added them.
This is a real comfort food to me. It’s a little different from your average chili, because it includes lots of veggies. It’s so, so good.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Funny story, one of my brothers old girl friends wanted to make him a special dinner and asked him what he’d like. He said chili, thinking of mom’s chili of course, the only chili we ever knew. She made him what I’m sure was a lovely, traditional chili of beans, and meat, and asked expectantly what he thought. He said “this isn’t chili” which lead to quite an argument. So, this isn’t indeed your traditional chili, but I promise it’s delicious.
This chilli is the perfect dish for this time of year when it’s harder to get good fresh veggies. It’s also a good one for anyone trying to eat healthy, since it’s packed with so many veggies. I usually serve it with a good crusty bread.
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can yellow beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 package chili seasoning
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large package fresh mushrooms -sliced
- 1 large onion -diced
- 1 green pepper -diced
- 3 cloves of garlic -minced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp angostura bitters
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan combine canned ingredients, chill seasoning, worcestershire sauce, angostura biters, chill flakes and salt and peper. Simmer on low
- Brown ground beef in a frying pan, with some salt and pepper. Drain any fat, and add the meat to the large saucepan.
- Fry other ingredients -mushrooms, onion, green pepper and garlic, when cooked through add to saucepan
- Mix every together and simmer for 2 hours on low
Something to look forward to on a cold winters night. Make it this weekend, and enjoy the leftovers for lunches.
With a big bowl of chili on a cold day, life really is party.
You might also like our Easy Lasagna recipe here.
Also check out our Butter Chicken Pizza recipe here.
You might also enjoy our Tortellini and Italian Sausage Soup recipe here.