Homemade Christmas Granola -the perfect gift for Christmas: make cranberry and mixed fruits and nuts granola , or chocolate chip and coconut granola for the holidays.
Christmas is a time for entertaining, and I always love a brunch. The last few times I’ve made granola, my friends and family have loved it. I usually make a plain oatmeal granola with just some nuts in it, but for Christmas I thought it would be fun to make some with the flavours of the holidays added in. This Christmas Granola is so good!
My youngest daughter loves all things chocolate, and I thought that nothing says Christmas like cranberries. So I made a couple of versions.
Get Our Free Easy Favourites Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite recipes that are easy to make and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Get Our Free Christmas Cookbook
We've collected some of our very favourite Christmas recipes and put them together in a mini cookbook. Get it free for a limited time!
Chocolate and Coconut Granola
For the chocolate one, after the granola was cooled I added some chocolate chips and coconut flakes. It was a hit…big hit.
For the cranberry version, I added dried cranberries, along with some other dried fruit -chopped dried figs, and raisins, and more flaked coconut.
Depending what your family loves, you could add in any dried fruit, or nuts…or chocolate.
- 1 lb. quick oats
- 3 cups chopped raw nuts (I used almonds, walnuts, and pecans)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dried fruit (I used cranberries, chopped figs, raisins and flaked coconut for half, and chocolate chips and coconut for the other half)
- Put half your quick oats (8 oz.) in a food processor and grind into oat flour.
- Combine in a large bowl the oat flour, quick oats, nuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir.
- In a small pan combine sugar, butter, and water and heat until it boils, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Pour butter mixture over the oat mixture, and stir to fully combine. Let sit 10 min.
- Pour granola mixture onto a large baking sheet, and cook in a 300 degree oven for 25-30 min. Stir mixture and cook for a total of 1 1/2 hours, until crunchy and dry, making sure to stir every 15 min. so the edges don't burn.
- When it's finished cooking, let cool, and add in dried fruit, and/or chocolate chips. Store in an air tight container.
Perfect For Brunch
I served the granola with new Nordic Smooth Cottage Cheese, Vanilla flavoured. The Christmas Granola is also great with yogurt or cold milk, and fresh fruit.
Along with our Christmas granola, I made up a batch of my husbands famous pancakes – find the recipe here.
I love this kind of easy entertaining, perfect for a no-fuss holiday get-together.
Christmas Granola Gift
Another great idea would be to make up a batch or two of this granola for gift giving. It’s the kind of gift anyone would love.
With homemade Christmas granola for giving or enjoying yourself, life really is a party!
You might also like our Jelly Donut Pancakes here.
Also check out Easy Food Processor Scones here.
You might also enjoy Pumpkin Waffles here.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.