Sour Cream Donut Holes: these donuts are moist and delicious, and rolled in cinnamon sugar. They’re the perfect treat for breakfast or dessert.
For Father’s Day, I wanted to make my husband a special breakfast. He LOVES those tiny tim donuts you get at fairs, so I thought I’d make him some sour cream donut holes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cinnamon sugar
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl beat eggs together until foamy. Gradually add in 1/2 sugar and fully combine. Next add sour cream and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. The dough will be very soft. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. The dough will never become firm but it will be workable when cold.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, pat or roll the dough out 1/2 inch thick. cut with a well floured cutter into donut holes. Fry in deep fat heated to 365 F Fry until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Roll the cooked donut holes in cinnamon sugar. These are best if served while still warm or within a few hours of frying.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
They work out really well for a breakfast because you can make the dough the night before, and all you have to do in the morning is fry them.
Best if served while still warm or within a few hours of frying.
I tried these once with a deep pot of oil, but found it difficult to keep the oil at just the right temperature to not burn the donut, and make sure it’s cooked all the way on the inside. Then I remembered, back to the days when normal people had a small deep fryer and used them on Friday nights to make frozen fries for their families. Can you remember back that far, to when you were a kid?
My mom had kept the old family fryer, it was just waiting on a shelf in the back room for someone to be brave enough to deep fry again! It worked great! And although deep frying on a weekly basis again would be very hazardous to my health, and my waist line, it sure is great for a special treat. 😉
We had a great breakfast of homemade sour cream donut holes, and cafe au laits. Sounds more like dessert doesn’t it? Hope you had a great Father’s Day too.
With sour cream donut holes, life really is a party!
You might also like our Honey Cruller Donuts here.
Also check out Nutella Mini Donuts here.
You might also enjoy our Jelly Donuts here.